EMBO Workshop Physics of living systems: From molecules to tissues
- Jun 7, 2021 - Jun 10, 2021
- 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Main Topic
- Other Topics
- Seventy years ago, Erwin Schrödinger asked the question ’What is Life?’ in his well-known book. However, until today, physical insight into the mechanics and statistics of living matter, from molecules to cells to tissues, remains far behind our understanding of how collections of dead particles are organized. The central aim of our EMBO Workshop is to discuss recent advances in the field of biological physics and identify emergent principles that govern the dynamic organization of living matter. We will use this conference as a platform to discuss living matter as a self-organizing and active form of soft condensed matter. This approach will, as we believe, reveal original and new physics and establish a new perspective on dynamic biological processes as self-organizing dynamical systems. The goal this EMBO Workshop is the emergence of a new understanding of living systems as physical systems where spatiotemporal structure emerges robustly through energy and matter flows. We intend to identify physical principles of organization across scales – from molecules to cells to tissues. We have selected a synergistic group of speakers from physics, biology, and computer science to embrace the interdisciplinarity of our scope. Our sessions will be dedicated to the following topics: Active forces in Biological Systems, Self organization of Living Systems, Compartmentalization of the Cytoplasm, Nuclear Organization, Tissue Mechanics, and Tissue Morphogenesis.
Last modified: Apr 15, 2021, 9:56:25 AM
Online, please follow the internet link.
PoL | Physics of LifeTatzberg47/4901307Dresden
- +49 351 463-40315
- TUD Physics of Life
- Civil Eng., Architecture
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Computer Eng.
- Environmental Sciences
- for Pupils
- Linguistics, Literature and Culture
- Mechanical Engineering
- Society, Philosophy, Education